Thursday, October 4, 2012

U.S.A-Beginnings and Impressions

My first week here in Reno was a confusing, interesting but primarily joyful experience. I think that a human response to something new is to first compare the similarities and differences between it and what we're used to. It's definitely my response. Sometime's I feel like I'm being oppositional when people ask me if it's very different to Sydney...I guess there's always that feeling of wanting to make your hometown sound like the best place on earth. To me it is, even if not for the fact that the location and everything is great, but I've spent my whole life there, it's everything to me.

The more time I spend here though the more I fall in love with this place, and what it means to my other half. Just as Sydney is my life, Reno is Bryan's and that alone makes it a very special place to me. As far as the rest of America goes, I have absolutely no idea, but I'm sure every state is unique. Reno reminds me of a mixture of Bathurst and Sydney-that perfect combination of shops, people, things to do and yet retaining a feeling of space and openness (it is the desert after all).


My plan in arriving was to arrive a few days earlier than my love expected, and surprise him a the best birthday present I could think of. It was incredibly difficult lying to him and keeping the secret, I even edited my plane ticket to show the fake dates because I suspected he'd suspect me! It was lucky I did, because it was apparently that very move which alleviated his suspicions. I waited out the front of The Nugget, a hotel I rented for my first night and his sister Megan dropped him off. Megan and I had been secretly planning it out a month prior to the moment so she was in on the whole plan which made everything perfect. Bryan's face when he looked out the car window (the second time, the first time he glanced at me before doing a double take) was everything I could have hoped for. I felt my heart jump and it felt suddenly like I could relax.

Those months without him were some of the worst I've ever experienced. Not only did Bryan become my lover during his Australian sojourn, he became my best friend. He became my close friend in unique ways I couldn't even begin to predict missing until he'd gone. Arguments, questions, discussions, ideas, challenges...these were some of the things Bryan and I fed off, we loved the back and forth, the to and fro, sometimes leaving us no closer to an answer than we began with, but the journey of debate and research was always thoroughly enjoyed. During our time apart I found myself trying these things on others, but generally these sessions ended with frustration on their behalf (why do we have to argue?) or on mine (it's not an argument, it's a DISCUSSION!). So I had to save up all these conversations for our video calls when often the call connection was horrible and only a limited and stilted conversation could be had. 

So when finally I was reunited with my Bryan, it wasn't just my heart that was filled with joy. I felt my brain relax, my whole self relaxed completely and to see the love I felt for him reflected so clearly on his face...I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I laughed by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment